Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Palm Springs and San Diego in one weekend=tired!!!

Miranda had her 6 month checkup last Wednesday. 20 lbs (90th percentile), 27" (86th percentile), and all of her immunizations. She is actually shorter than Addison was, and we already know she weighs more. Lol! The doctor wasn't concerned about her weight. And as we know, the huge babies always end up skinny anyway. She is such a chunk. She is attempting to crawl, but I am in NO hurry for that. She was waking up two times a night and then waking up between 5:30 and 6:30 for the day, but on Monday night she slept from 7:30-3:30, and last night she slept from 7:30 until 6:30. That was her third time sleeping through the night. She is a much better sleeper than Addison ever was. I laugh when moms complain about being so tired. I want them to come to my house. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, after being woken up at least twice a night, I wake up at 5:30 a.m. And every other day (including weekends), I sleep until 6:30 at the latest. So, if your child wakes up at 6:30 every morning, or only wakes up once a night, and that is all you have to complain about, cry me a river. 

On Saturday we went to see my grandparents before they went back to Arizona. Addison had fun sweeping all of the leaves off of their patio, and then jumping in them in the grass. She also tired herself out swimming. Miranda mostly just hung out outside, and then fell asleep by the pool!
 On Sunday, Carlos washed both of the cars, and we did yard work, as well as jumped on the trampoline (which seems to be an everyday thing. Miranda loves it). On Sunday night we went to Babies R' Us to get new car seats. Miranda was using Addison's infant seat since it looked brand new, but since we had gotten it at Bergstrom's (and their turnaround rate isn't the same as B R Us), it was about to expire in a month. I had found a really cute black and pink one, and thought it would be cute for her and Addison to match, so I had planned on getting Addison a new seat (the same as the one she has since we love it). We traded in the extra seat that my mom had in her car and got Addison the pink and black seat, but when it came time to get Miranda's seat, they said they couldn't order it since it wasn't a pattern they carried in store. I was so mad. So, we ended up getting her this...
It's the Graco Smart Seat, and is awesome! Because of the 25% trade-in, we got a great deal on a $300 car seat. It has a base so when she goes from rear-facing to forward-facing, you just turn it around. You can also buy additional bases for other cars and just remove it and click it in. I love it because it has so many options for her. We looked at the Britax, but the one thing I hate is the fact that they look worn out even when they're new. Anyone that knows me, knows that this would drive me nuts. The safety ratings are really high on this as well. So, even though I am sad that their seats don't match, it's still an awesome seat. The downside is not having her stay asleep when I get her out of the car. The upside is not carrying 30 lbs around when we take Addison to school, gymnastics, or anywhere else we go. 

On Monday we went to San Diego for Miranda's appointment at the Cranial place. Her doctor had given me a second referral since I never took her the first time. She insisted that she had a flat head and we should take her. So, we went to the zoo for a few minutes (literally it was PACKED and so hot), and then rode the carousel and walked around by the museums. 
 Addison and her asian baby sister. Lol! 
 Addison loved climbing all over this thing which is actually a sculpture outside the Mingei museum.
I was so nervous to take her to her appointment. I thought her head was flat in the back, but didn't think it was that bad. Unfortunately there isn't research on the effects of babies sleeping on their backs and head shape and what it does later on, so I swear they scare you into going, and that's probably why so many kids in SD have helmets. They are definitely very cautious here and in SD. I noticed that with Addison as well. I didn't want her to wear one because I think it would be very uncomfortable to have "dynamic pressure" applied to your head 23 hours a day. She is also the queen of rashes so I can't imagine how it would affect her. If insurance doesn't cover it, it can cost $4,000. They have to check them weekly or biweekly, which means a lot of trips to SD. And of course, a lot of people are not educated and would think that something is wrong with her. I know that before I had kids, I had no idea why kids wore them. Sadly, she is really close to a perfect baby, so I didn't want people to stare at her for the wrong reasons. They already touch her and talk to her everywhere we go. The old people really love her!

The physical therapist took measurements of her skull and they did these really cool 3D images. They found that she only has moderate distortion. Her head in the back isn't even flat like I had thought (it was her darn hair), and the top of her head is almost perfectly round. That is where you can usually see the most distortion when kids need a helmet. She said that she can tell that she prefers to sleep on her left side, because the back of her head and her forehead show signs of it. She said we could treat it if we wanted, but only someone trained to recognize the shape of the cranium would notice it. She said that even her doctor wouldn't see the actual distortion. Crazy! So, all that worry for nothing. We were so relieved. 

Here she is sitting in her first restaurant high chair. I forgot that we didn't have the infant seat anymore, so I hadn't planned on bringing the highchair cover. She was awesome the entire time at dinner. Addison was not.
Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails