Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Girl Genius.

Yesterday I volunteered in Addison's class all day since Carlos had the day off. It was also her parent conference day. I was really excited, because I know she is smart, but I was also excited to see how she was doing with the social skills and everything else. I was ecstatic when her teacher told me that she is not shy at all and that she likes to lead the class. This will come in handy for her classroom job this week...teacher's helper. 

Academically, her and another girl are the top two in her class. That was AWESOME to hear! Her class has a wide range of students. Some are more on her level and some cannot even write their own names. This is transitional kindergarten and not kindergarten yet, so at least they won't be the ones going into kindergarten not knowing how to hold a pencil. There are always a few of those kids. Of course Addison knew all of her shapes, letters and sounds, Math skills, etc. Since she knew all of the letters and sounds, she was able to be tested for sight words. Kindergarten has 30 sight words, and transitional kindergartners learn 12 of those words. When she was tested, she already knew 9 out of 12 of the words. As of today, her teacher said she knows all 12. She gave me the kindergarten word list so she could start practicing those. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in the K-1 combo class next year. I imagine she'll be writing sentences before we know it!

 Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails